Upma, uppumavu or uppittu is a common South Indian, Maharashtrian, and Sri Lankan Tamil breakfast dish, cooked as a thick porridge from dry roasted semolina or coarse rice flour. Various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added during the cooking, depending on individual preferences. Today it is popular in most parts of India and is prepared in various ways.
In this vegetable upma recipe, semolina is cooked with onions, mixed vegetables and a delicious tempering of chillies, curry leaves, mustard seeds and urad dal. Once the semolina is cooked to a soft mushy consistency it is served hot, garnished with fresh coconut and coriander. Along with nutritious semolina and fresh vegetables this one definitely makes a healthy breakfast that is really tasty too.I have added my favorite spice, saffron to give a fragrant aroma and a bright yellow colour
Serve : 4
Ingredients for Vegetable Upma Recipe
Semolina (rawa/suji) 1 1/2 cups
Carrot cut into ¼ inch cubes and blanched 1 medium
French beans cut into ¼ inch cubes and blanched 6-8
Onion 1 medium
Green chillies 3
Ginger 1 inch piece
Extra virgin olive oil or ghee -2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves 15-20
Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal) 2 teaspoons
A pinch of saffron
½ to 1 cup hot water
Salt to taste
1. Steep saffron threads in half cup of hot water and set aside
2.Chop onion, green chilies and ginger. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, ginger, curry leaves and urad dal and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Heat 3 cups water in another nonstick pan. When the onion becomes golden, add semolina and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add green chillies, salt and mix. Sauté for 1 minute. And set aside.
4. Add hot water and the saffron to the pan and cook till most of the water is absorbed. Add carrot, beans and mix. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.Amount to water required may vary.
5. Again and cook till the semolina is properly cooked. Serve hot.
6. You can also garnish with coriander leaves and/or freshly scraped coconut and serve